YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Art of Genius

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: The Art of Genius   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:08 pm

In chapter 13 of your reading book, Select Readings, you read about how geniuses differ from the general population. Select a famous genius and research information on his or her life. Why is this person considered a genius? What is his or her greatest contribution to the world?
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Julie

Julie

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: 1st draft   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 pm

There are some famous geniuses in the world, like Galileos, Edisons, Nobel, etc. They are different from ordinary people. How are they different from normal people?? They look at problems from all angles, make their thought visible, produce, make novel combinations, force relationships and prepare themselves for chance. Albert Einstein said, " Imagination is more important than knowledge." Geniuses are just as intelligent as normal people. For example, Fichard Feynman, who is Nobel Prize winner, has IQ 122, same as others. But they considered as geniuses because they are imaginative and creative and did a great perspiration. I select one genius, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and research about him.

One of the geniuses' quality is producing. I think Wolfgang Mozart is genius. Becasue he composed about 600 pieces of opera, symphony, concerto and sonata. And most of them are still popular today. He was different with other people. His first composition was made when he was just a 5years old boy. His music influenced the future music. His characteristic creation in symphony continued by Beethoven. Also, his music is made through his experiences from recital tour so his music reflected the world music. Therefore he is considered as the model of
'absolute music'.
Secondly, he shows great talent in music. When he was 3 years old, he understood how to play piano by watching his sister playing it. When his father saw his ability, he taught Mozart piano and violin. His musical talent developed quickly. When he was 6 years old, he played violin infront of Queen Maria Theresia. Also, he listen and rewrite 'Miserere' that has 5 parts and 4 solo parts when he was 14.

As you see, Mozart was a great genius musician who is great in composing and performing. Before, I thought geniuses is just a smart and intelligent people but I learned that imagination and creative thinking is more important.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: First Feedback for Julie   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Julie wrote:
There are some famous geniuses in the world, like Galileos, Edisons, Nobel, etc. They are different from ordinary people. How are they different from normal people?? They look at problems from all angles, make their thought visible, produce, make novel combinations, force relationships and prepare themselves for chance. Albert Einstein said, " Imagination is more important than knowledge." Geniuses are just as intelligent as normal people. For example, Fichard Feynman, who is Nobel Prize winner, has IQ 122, same as others. But they considered as geniuses because they are imaginative and creative and did a great perspiration. I select one genius, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and research about him.

One of the geniuses' quality is producing. I think Wolfgang Mozart is genius. Becasue he composed about 600 pieces of opera, symphony, concerto and sonata. And most of them are still popular today. He was different with other people. His first composition was made when he was just a 5years old boy. His music influenced the future music. His characteristic creation in symphony continued by Beethoven. Also, his music is made through his experiences from recital tour so his music reflected the world music. Therefore he is considered as the model of
'absolute music'.
Secondly, he shows great talent in music. When he was 3 years old, he understood how to play piano by watching his sister playing it. When his father saw his ability, he taught Mozart piano and violin. His musical talent developed quickly. When he was 6 years old, he played violin infront of Queen Maria Theresia. Also, he listen and rewrite 'Miserere' that has 5 parts and 4 solo parts when he was 14.

As you see, Mozart was a great genius musician who is great in composing and performing. Before, I thought geniuses is just a smart and intelligent people but I learned that imagination and creative thinking is more important.

This is a very good first draft Julie. When looking at the mechanics, we quickly see that you understand what are the key elements of each paragraph and try to encompass each element in your paragraphs. Well done on this front. Your conclusion is the paragraph that requires a little more attention because you bring in the characteristic of being a good performer, but you do not mention this in your essay. You do alude to the fact that he performed for Queen Maria Theresa, but you do not go further into detail. Your point is that he is a fast learner of music and musical instruments.

Looking at your language in use (grammar) you demonstrate some good vocabulary knowledge and use different grammar structures. That said you need to look closely to ensure that you have articles where they are needed, and that you are using the correct verb tense when need be.

Finally, your essay is well developed. There is the right amount information and the topic sentences you use along with their supporting details function well together in support of your main idea.

Very good work all around. Post your second draft in a new post.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
So-Hee

So-Hee

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: First draft   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:49 pm

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." It is very famous quotation by Thomas Edison. He emphasizes effort in this quotation, but I think he underestimates his inspiration. He held 1,093 patents, still a record. He caught what other people never thought like many other geniuses. So, I think effort is important, However 1% inspiration made him a greatest genius inventor.
What are source of geniuses inspiration and many ideas? I think they're curiosity and imaginations.

Edsion was very unexpected child. It is known well that he brood eggs for hatching. It shows his curiosity and imagination. But he was not good student in school. He was different from other children. He didn't like memory work which teacher gave him. He always ask teacher to "Why?" and often enjoyed novel mischief. Teacher didn't understand Edison. He finally left school. But he used his curiosity and imagination, and became world greatest inventor.

His representative inventions are a gramophone, electric bulbs. He kicked out a dark and opened the electronic ages. Our life became comfortable thanks to him. When he died, President even asks to people to turn off all light to condolence him.

In conclusion, many people call Edison genius. Why? Because he invented a numbers of products. His creative ideas gave comfortable
light to human. But who is genius? Person who make a lot of products? I think genius is who break the frame as curiosity and imagination.
If Edsion learned regular education, his frame might be fixed. When we allow curiosity and imagination, great genius will appear soon.

Last edited by So-Hee on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:39 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Julie

Julie

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: 2nd draft   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 pm

There are some famous geniuses in the world, like Galileos, Edisons, and Nobel. They are different from ordinary people. How are they different from normal people?? They look at problems from all angles, make their thoughts visible, produce in high numbers, make novel combinations, force relationships and prepare themselves for chance. Albert Einstein said, " Imagination is more important than knowledge." Geniuses are just as intelligent as normal people. For example, Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman has IQ 122 same as average. But they considered as geniuses because they are imaginative and creative and did a great perspiration. I select one genius, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and research about him.

One of the geniuses' quality is producing in high numbers. I think Wolfgang Mozart is genius, because he composed about 1000 pieces of opera, symphony, concerto and sonata. And most of them are still popular today. His music influenced the future music. His characteristic creation in symphony continued by Beethoven. Also, his music was made through his experiences from recital tour so his music reflected the world music. Therefore he is considered as the model of the 'absolute music'.

Secondly, he showed a great talent in music. He was different with other people. When he was 3 years old, he understood how to play piano by watching his sister playing it. When his father saw his ability, he taught Mozart piano and violin. His musical talent developed quickly. His first composition was made when he was just 5years old.When he was 6 years old, he played violin infront of Queen Maria Theresia. Also, he listen and rewrite 'Miserere' that has 5 parts and 4 solo parts when he was 14.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Art of Genius Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Art of Genius   The Art of Genius I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Art of Genius
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
YSO English :: Select Readings :: Intermediate-
Jump to: