YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Experience

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Experience Empty
PostSubject: Experience   Experience I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm

In 400 words or less, describe a situation when you taught something to somebody. A) Explain the strategies you used. B) What did you find challenging? C) What did you learn from the experience that is relevant to your future practice as a teacher?
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

Experience Empty
PostSubject: In the classroom   Experience I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 4:51 pm

The situation I have elected to discuss involves my initial experience of teaching a writing class to second language learners. The group was composed of 20 high school students, all of whom lacked any formal teaching in composition. I had previously tested the learners to identify their strengths and weaknesses in order to prepare for my first class, in which I sought to introduce the learners to the concept of process writing, and work with them on the first sections of the process - brainstorming and planning.

On entering the classroom, I started by explaining why the students had done a writing test and outlining what I had learned from their compositions. I then introduced the target writing process to the students. I handed out documents illustrating the different types of brainstorming and planning techniques along with review and feedback criteria they should consider when writing. We looked at diverse styles of brainstorming (Venn diagrams, pros and cons charts, comparison and contrast charts, time-order/sequence charts, and mind-maps) and plans (outlines, main ideas and supporting details maps). I then explained how each format worked and the types of questions each brainstorm better served. Finally, I reintroduced the initial writing topic - ‘Why is English important for you?’ - a simple question I employ with first time learners.

If I could change anything about the way the class was conducted, I would not have introduced the learners to all the styles of plans and brainstorms at one time, as this was unrealistic and too ambitious. Trying to explain how and when to use different styles of brainstorms and plans simply overwhelmed many of the learners. I still believe the information was relevant but, as the saying goes, everything has a time and place. I should have considered the learners’ varied abilities to absorb new information more and simply presented one style of each. That way I could have spent more time helping the learners rather than confusing them.

From that experience, I have gained valuable insights. I have come to realize that quantity is less important than quality, that not all learners acquire knowledge at the same speed and that it is better to introduce new concepts and ideas in smaller increments. As a result of the lessons I learnt, my approach to teaching has changed significantly following that class, illustrating that for both teachers and students the learning process is ongoing.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net

Experience
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
YSO English :: Yannick :: University-
Jump to: