YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John’s Taiwanese Wedding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

John’s Taiwanese Wedding Empty
PostSubject: John’s Taiwanese Wedding   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:06 pm

In chapter 12 of your reading book, Select Readings, you learn of some of the difficulties that can arise when couples from different cultural backgrounds decide to get married. Would you consider marrying a person from a different cultural background to yours? Why or why not?

Name1st feedback2nd feedbackGrade
Julie
Done
Done
B-
Hyeon-Ji
Done
Done
B-
So-Hee
Done
Done
B
Name
Name
Name
Name
Name
Name
Name
Name

Last edited by Admin on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
So-Hee

So-Hee

PostSubject: There are no boundary in a love   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Korean have belived that korea is a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. But today,
nternational marriage increases rapidly. 1 couple out of 10 couples who married is internaitonal coueple. Many old people can't understand
and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Yong people's thinking is diffrent. Yong people have a more open mind about
interantional marriage,so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. They have a their own faith and think love can make all problem solve.
I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that A couple who has same culture get advantages compare to
international couple. Communication, Food, Behave, Religion....Of course, little diffrences can exist depending on individual, it can't deny
that if culture is diffrent, gap is bigger. But I think more important things for marriage are persoanality and the vaules. Also, Most important
thing in marriage is understanding. Foreigner or korean man who I will married will have a part which need a understanding whatever they
are. His habit, bad points, diffrences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. Through this process, we can be
a mature person. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural backgroud.

On the contary, diffrent culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country.
In this process, They can overcome a biased view and misundestanding. They will be known, peolpe is not that diffrent even if they
have a diffrent cultral background. I saw many international marriage couple in TV, who is looked very happy. The couples said,
" We become stronger when we overcome culture problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultureal background is just
a little obstacle for love.

In conclusionm I think cultural background is not that important. It can be overcomed and more important thing is persaonaltiy and
values in marriage. "There are no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.

Last edited by So-Hee on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Feedback for So-Hee   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 6:12 pm

So-Hee wrote:
Korean have belived that korea is a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. [1]But today, international marriage increases rapidly. [2/3]1 couple out of 10 couples who married is internaitonal coueple. Many old people can't understand and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Yong people's thinking is diffrent. Yong people have a more open mind about interantional marriage,so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. They have a their own faith and think love can make all problem solve. I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

[A]I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that A couple who has same culture get advantages compare to international couple. Communication, Food, Behave, Religion....Of course, little diffrences can exist depending on individual, it can't deny that if culture is diffrent, gap is bigger. But I think more important things for marriage are persoanality and the vaules. Also, Most important thing in marriage is understanding. [4]Foreigner or korean man who I will married will have a part which need a understanding whatever they are. His habit, bad points, diffrences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. Through this process, we can be a mature person. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural backgroud.

[B]On the contary, diffrent culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country. In this process, They can overcome a biased view and misundestanding. They will be known, peolpe is not that diffrent even if they have a diffrent cultral background. I saw many international marriage couple in TV, who is looked very happy. The couples said, " We become stronger when we overcome culture problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultureal background is just a little obstacle for love.

In conclusionm I think cultural background is not that important. It can be overcomed and more important thing is persaonaltiy and values in marriage. "There are no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.

I like your essay. You present some good points and try hard to support them. Your second body paragraph is by far the strongest. I Would look at focusing your first body paragraph on what you believe to be the important elements in a marriage: personality and values.

[1] Where?
[2] According to whom? If you don't have a real source, create one.
[3] It is okay to lie (make up information), but be sure the information you are creating is believable. For example, I do not believe 1 out of every 10 Korean weddings involve a foreigner and a Korean. Now, if you were to say 1 out of every 1000 marriages is between a Korean and a foreigner in Korea, then I would believe you.
[4] I have difficulty understanding this passage. You need to rewrite it again.
[A] What is the main idea of this paragraph.
[B]This paragraph starts:"On the contrary..." which indicates that in the previous paragraph you would be talking about how different cultures have bad effects on couples. This however is not the case.

I am looking forward to reading your second draft. Write it in a new post.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hyeon-Ji

Hyeon-Ji

PostSubject: First draft   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm

In the past time, Korean killed foreigner because they thought that 'Foreigner was goblin, so they would kill all Koreans.' Like this, Koreans felt hostility or fear toward foreign. But Korea have been changed a lot. We can see foreign actor on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and to marry to foreigners. Even they often feel hard because they have different way of thinking. Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated. But many couples said, "If I married to Korean who has same value, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' write on her book, she got many help from their coversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through thire conversation. They help each others' field.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents story. My parents have different values although they lives in same culture. For example, My father thinks reading literature is just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thinks reading literature makes people's mind mature, so people have to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time, Soon they realized there is no answer. It's differences of values. And they start to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It can be very small parts, but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we got many adventage by reading many kind of books.

In conclusion, I think the most important thing about marriage is love and generosity. If we love our foreign partner, we can understand his own style although we need lots of conversation. If we are generous to foreign partner, Preferably, we can develop our life and culture more beautiful. In addition, I think love and generosity is not limited to foreign marriage. It should apply to every couple. Hence, 'marrying a person from a different cultural background' is not different from normal marriage. We just need a little more generosity.

Last edited by Hyeon-Ji on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Julie

Julie

PostSubject: 1st draft   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:42 pm

What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! So you have to change your stupid ideas. Of course, there are many advantages and problems, but it's your choice, not a strange or wrong idea. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even you have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and wants to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. And I think person's most important thing is personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Second, I could experience new life and culture. Today is global era that we have to experience and know many different cultures. It's better to learn it by husband than teachers. If I move to husband's country, I could learn their language fast. I also could make friends in that country that they could show their countries and tradition. I could have better facilities to study or enjoy life, if they are better than Korea. And in future, for my child, they could accept both culture fastly and could choose citizenship.

In conclusion, I agree getting marriage with foreigner because I care about their personality, not cultural backgrounds. Next, I could have new life, experiencing new culture and also well-affect to the child. We have to change our thoughts that people from different country is distinct people from us. We need this equal thoughts to become global nation.

Last edited by Julie on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
So-Hee

So-Hee

PostSubject: Second draft edit 11 05   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 am

Korean have believed that korea is a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. But today, international marriage increases rapidly in korea. According to newspapers, 1 couple out of 10 couples who married recently is international couple. Many old people can't understand and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Young people's thoughts are different. Young people have a more open mind about international marriage, so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. They have a their own faith and think love can make all problem solved. I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that a couple who has same culture get advantages compare to international couple. Communication, Food, Behave, Religion....Of course, little differences can exist depending on individual, it can't deny that if culture is different, gap is bigger. But I think more important things for marriage are personality and the values. According to OECD, Korea's a divorce rate is the highest 2009. According to Another source, 40% couples reply personality is first reason for divorce. That shows why personality is important.

Also, Most important thing marriage is understanding. Whoever Foreigner or korean man who I will married will have a part need a understanding. His habit, bad points, differences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural background. Through this process, we can be a mature person.

Different culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country. In this process, They can overcome a biased view and misunderstanding. They will be known, people is not that different even if they have a different cultural background. I saw many international marriage couples in TV and they are looked very happy. The couples said, " We become stronger when we overcome culture problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultural background is just a little obstacle for love.

In conclusion, I think cultural background is not that important. It can be overcome and more important thing is personality and values in marriage."There are no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.

Last edited by So-Hee on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: First Feedback for Hyeon-Ji   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Hyeon-Ji wrote:
 In the past time, Korean killed foreigner because they thought that 'Foreigner was goblin, so they would kill all Koreans.' Like this, Koreans felt hostility or fear toward foreign. But Korea have been changed a lot. We can see foreign actor on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and to marry to foreigners. [1]Even they often feel hard because they have different way of thinking. [1]Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated. But many couples said, "If I married to Korean who has same value, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' write on her book, she got many help from their coversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through thire conversation. They help each others' field.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents story. My parents have different values although they lives in same culture. For example, My father thinks reading literature is just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thinks reading literature makes people's mind mature, so people have to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time, Soon they realized there is no answer. It's differences of values. And they start to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It can be very small parts, but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we got many adventage by reading many kind of books.

In conclusion, I think the most important thing about marriage is love and generosity. If we love our foreign partner, we can understand his own style although we need lots of conversation. If we are generous to foreign partner, Preferably, we can develop our life and culture more beautiful. In addition, I think love and generosity is not limited to foreign marriage. It should apply to every couple. Hence, 'marrying a person from a different cultural background' is not different from normal marriage. We just need a little more generosity.

Hello Hyeon-Ji. Thank you for submitting your first draft. I think you did fairly well in debating your points. I really enjoyed reading your conclusion. Your final thought is really appropriate and makes the reader think. That being said your conclusion also needs to return on some of the main ideas you put forward in your essay which are learning new cultural ideas and developing 'new cultures'.

Your introduction is okay, but when compared to your conclusion it is lacking. One way you can address your problem is by being a little more focused. I have difficulty seeing how these two sentences,[1], work within your introduction.

Your first body paragraph is good, but a little underdeveloped. You present a very pertinent idea, but do not do enough to fully explore it. You should look at adding further details highlighting the sharing of culture and how it is a positive situation.

Your second body paragraph is somewhat problematic. You might want to look at rewriting your paragraph or parts of it because you fail in demonstrating the emergence of a new culture. An idea for this paragraph might be looking at how two very different views about an object can complement each other.

I am looking forward to reading your second draft.
Fix your grammar, spelling and capitalization.

Write your second draft in a new post.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: First Feedback for Julie   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Julie wrote:
What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! [1]So you have to change your stupid ideas. [2]Of course, there are many advantages and problems, but it's your choice, not a strange or wrong idea. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even you have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and wants to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. And I think person's most important thing is personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Second, I could experience new life and culture. Today is global era that we have to experience and know many different cultures. It's better to learn it by husband than teachers. If I move to husband's country, I could learn their language fast. I also could make friends in that country that they could show their countries and tradition. I could have better facilities to study or enjoy life, if they are better than Korea. And in future, for my child, they could accept both culture fastly and could choose citizenship.

In conclusion, I agree getting marriage with foreigner because I care about their personality, not cultural backgrounds. Next, I could have new life, experiencing new culture and also well-affect to the child. We have to change our thoughts that people from different country is distinct people from us. We need this equal thoughts to become global nation.

Overall this is a good first draft Julie. You present some good ideas a try hard to demonstrate your points with details. Look at the feedback below to see how you can improve your second draft.

Your introduction starts off well. You present the topic and you put forward some statistics that are eye catching. That being said, your personal attack on a person's point of view, [1]/[2], is unacceptable. Those two sentences need to be revised.

Your first body paragraph is okay. It is nice to see that you do not care about a person's cultural background, but is this your paragraph's main idea? I would believe not. I think you may want to review this paragraph and look at making your topic new sentence (main idea). I would look at focusing on personality. However, one can always argue that you are interested in the person because he has money and is smart (your last sentence).

You have two valid ideas for your second body paragraph. By getting married you are experiencing a new life, why would you need to get married to a foreigner? Give details or an example to show how marrying a foreigner would be different than marrying a Korean man.

In your conclusion you mention that getting married to a foreigner is a benefit to your child. Why isn't this a paragraph's main idea. It is a very strong point.

[1] You are permitted to disagree with a person's opinion, but you cannot insult the person (calling the person stupid).
[2] Again you may disagree with a person's opinion, but an opinion is never wrong. That is the beauty of having an opinion.

I am looking forward to reading your next post.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Second Feedback for So-Hee   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:47 am

Admin wrote:
So-Hee wrote:
*5*[-1]Korean have belived that korea is a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. [-2]But today, international marriage increases rapidly in korea. According to newspapers, 1 couple out of 10 couples who married recently is internaitonal coueple. Many old people can't understand and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Yong people's thinkings are diffrent. Yong people have a more open mind about interantional marriage,so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. [-3]They have a their own faith and think love can make all problem solved. I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

*4*I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that a couple who has same culture get advantages compare to international couple. [-4]Communication, Food, Behave, Religion.... [-5f course, little diffrences can exist depending on individual, it can't deny that if culture is diffrent, gap is bigger. But I think more important things for marriage are persoanality and the vaules. [1]According to OECD, Korea's a divorce rate is the highest 2009. [2]According to Another source, 40% couples reply personality is first reason for divorce. That shows why personality is important.

*3*[-]Also, Most important thing marriage is understanding. [-]Whoever Foreigner or korean man who I will married will have a part need a understanding. [-]His habit, bad points, diffrences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural backgroud.Through this process, we can be a mature person.

*7*Diffrent culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country. [-]In this process, They can overcome a biased view and misundestanding. They will be known, peolpe is not that diffrent even if they have a diffrent cultral background. [-]I saw many international marriage couples in TV and they are looked very happy. The couples said, " [-]We become stronger when we overcome culture problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultureal background is just a little obstacle for love.

*2*In conclusion, I think cultural background is not that important. [-]It can be overcomed and more important thing is persaonaltiy and values in marriage.[-]"There are no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.

Hello So-Hee. Thank you for submitting your second draft.

Your introduction is good. You present the situation and make your position well known. There are some grammar mistakes, but they don't interfere with the understanding of the paragraph.

Your first body paragraph introduces some interesting facts, but why is personality important to you? Remember the question is asking for your opinion.

Your second body paragraph is good because you present one idea: understanding. I see that you are trying to debate this idea, but I have difficulty understanding your ideas. You really need to fix your second and third sentences.

Your last body paragraph is good and has good details.

*#* = The number of spelling mistakes in the paragraph
[-1] Seeing that this was a belief that existed in the past, but does not exist today, you should be using the past simple.
[-2] You should be using the be using plural rather than singular.
[-3] Word order
[-4] Incomplete sentence and misuse of capitalization.
[-5] Confusion between a little and some
[-] Additional grammar mistakes

[1] What is the OECD? You should write the entire title before using acronyms.
[2] What is this other source? By not stating the name of your source, one can believe you are lying. If you can't remember the source, make it up.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hyeon-Ji

Hyeon-Ji

PostSubject: Re: John’s Taiwanese Wedding   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 4:44 am

In the past time, Korean killed foreigner because they thought that 'foreigner was goblin, so they would kill all Koreans.' Like this, Koreans felt hostility or fear toward foreign. But Korea have been changed a lot. We can see foreign actor on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and to marry to foreigners. But couples have many problems. They often feel hard to understand each other because they have different way of thinking. Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated in Korea. Even these annoying problems, many couples just said, "If I married to Korean who has same value, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' write on her book, she got many help from their conversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through their conversation. They help each others' field.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents story. My parents have different values although they lives in same culture. For example, My father thinks reading literature is just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thinks reading literature makes people's mind mature, so people have to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time, Soon they realized there is no answer. It's differences of values. And they start to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It can be very small parts, but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we got many advantage by reading many kind of books.

ING
Back to top Go down
Julie

Julie

PostSubject: 2nd draft   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 pm

What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! So I think we have to change this idea. There are many advantages and problems. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, the most important thing to care is personality. I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even you have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and wants to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. And I think person's most important thing is personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Second, I could experience new life and culture. Today is global era that we have to experience and know many different cultures. It's better to learn it by husband than teachers. If I move to husband's country, I could learn their language fast. I also could make friends in that country that they could show their countries and tradition. I could have better facilities to study or enjoy life, if they are better than Korea. The difference between marrying with Korean man and foreigner is that I could live like foreigners in different culture, with different people.

Last, in future, it's beneficial for my child. They can learn both language fastly and easily. You know that it's easier to learn mother tongue because we learn it naturally by hearing parents and in life without academies. Also, they could learn both culture easy. In global era it's important to understand each countries. And they can choose their country where they want to live.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Second Feedback for Hyeon-Ji   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am

Hyeon-Ji wrote:
In the past time, Korean killed foreigner because they thought that 'foreigner was goblin, so they would kill all Koreans.' Like this, Koreans felt hostility or fear toward foreign. But Korea have been changed a lot. We can see foreign actor on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and to marry to foreigners. But couples have many problems. They often feel hard to understand each other because they have different way of thinking. Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated in Korea. Even these annoying problems, many couples just said, "If I married to Korean who has same value, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' write on her book, she got many help from their conversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through their conversation. They help each others' field.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents story. My parents have different values although they lives in same culture. For example, My father thinks reading literature is just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thinks reading literature makes people's mind mature, so people have to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time, Soon they realized there is no answer. It's differences of values. And they start to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It can be very small parts, but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we got many advantage by reading many kind of books.

ING

This is a good effort so far. I'm looking forward to the final draft. You may want to look at your introduction. You can make it a lot stronger. For example:
Quote :
In the past time, Korean killed foreigner because they thought that 'foreigner was goblin, so they would kill all Koreans.'
In the past, Koreans killed foreigners because they thought that the foriegners were goblins, and that they would be killed by them.

1. Mechanics
This covers the structure of the essay itself -the different types of paragraphs, main idea, topic sentence, supporting details, clincher sentence, conclusion.

So far you are covering this section well. You have all the elements to an essay, however you can easily improved your first point by further developing your example. What kind of welfare policies has she put brought forward to legislators? Or how has the new knowledge of Korean traditional music impacted the man's life? You may also want to look at your conclusion. You are not reiterating the main arguments you put forward in your essay. Rather, you are presenting new points which means that it is not fulfilling its role. What you have at the moment is a new paragraph or a very (too long) long clincher sentence.
2. Language Use
This covers the writer's use of appropriate grammatical structures and vocabulary. Furthermore, spelling, capitalization, abreviation, contraction and punctuation need to be taken into account.

This section is very problematic at the moment. You need to look back to ensure that you have mode and tense agreement. This is by far your biggest problem. You should then take a look at capitalization (I should not see a capital letter in the middle of a sentence or after a comma if the word is not a proper noun).

3. Topic Development
This covers the writer's attempt at answering the question. How is it organized, presented and answered (not if one agrees or disagrees with what has been written, but are the ideas well supported).

The question is would you marry someone from a different cultural background, why or why not? The question is straight forward in that it is a yes or no answer. However, looking at your introduction, I do not see your position. You mention that other Koreans get married to foreigners, but nowhere do you state your position on the question. Next, I also believe that your strongest argument for inter-cultural marriages is your first, and it is better to keep your best argument for last. Finally, your second argument for inter-cultural marriages is good, but you need to bring your paragraph and example to support your main idea (which was not stated). That is that you would marry someone from a different cultural background.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Second feedback for Julie   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am

Julie wrote:
What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! So I think we have to change this idea. There are many advantages and problems. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, the most important thing to care is personality. I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even you have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and wants to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. And I think person's most important thing is personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Second, I could experience new life and culture. Today is global era that we have to experience and know many different cultures. It's better to learn it by husband than teachers. If I move to husband's country, I could learn their language fast. I also could make friends in that country that they could show their countries and tradition. I could have better facilities to study or enjoy life, if they are better than Korea. The difference between marrying with Korean man and foreigner is that I could live like foreigners in different culture, with different people.

Last, in future, it's beneficial for my child. They can learn both language fastly and easily. You know that it's easier to learn mother tongue because we learn it naturally by hearing parents and in life without academies. Also, they could learn both culture easy. In global era it's important to understand each countries. And they can choose their country where they want to live.

Overall I think this is a good effort. I am looking forward to reading your final draft. You may want to look at your essay and ensure yourself that your pronouns are refering to ideas presented and that all your sentences have complete ideas. For example:
Quote :
So I think we have to change this idea.
What does 'this' refer to? What idea needs to be changed?
Quote :
There are many advantages and problems.
There are many advantages and problems to what?

1. Mechanics
This covers the structure of the essay itself -the different types of paragraphs, main idea, topic sentence, supporting details, clincher sentence, conclusion.

The structure of your essay is good. You present your position and each paragraph has a topic sentence along wiht supporting details. Your first bodyparagraph is your weakest. Your details appear at the end of your paragraph which means that the first few sentences are off topic or not related to your topic sentence. You need to fix this paragraph.
2. Language Use
This covers the writer's use of appropriate grammatical structures and vocabulary. Furthermore, spelling, capitalization, abreviation, contraction and punctuation need to be taken into account.

This is where you are losing most of your points. You need to look at closely at your use of personal pronouns. In the three first sentences of your first body paragraph you use 3 different personal pronouns (you, I, we). You should be using one personal pronoun throughout your writing except in examples. You need to ensure that you have mode and tense agreement.

3. Topic Development
This covers the writer's attempt at answering the question. How is it organized, presented and answered (not if one agrees or disagrees with what has been written, but are the ideas well supported).

You have some good ideas with good details. As mentioned previously you need to work on your first body paragraph to ensure that all your sentences are fulfilling there given role (supporting detail or supporting example).
Back to top Go down
Hyeon-Ji

Hyeon-Ji

PostSubject: Re: John’s Taiwanese Wedding   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:35 pm

In the past, Koreans killed foreigners because they thought that the foreigners were goblins, and that they would be killed by them. Like this, Koreans have felt hostility toward foreigners. But Koreans have changed a lot. Now we can see foreign actors on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and marry to foreigners. But couples have many problems. They often feel hard to understand each others because they have different way of thinking. Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated in Korea. Even these annoying problems, many couples just say, "If I married to Korean who has same values, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking. I would marry foreigners.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' writes on her book that she got many helps from their conversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through their conversation. They helped each others' fields.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents' story. My parents had different values although they lived in same culture. For example, My father thought reading literature was just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thought reading literature made people's mind mature. Hence, people had to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time soon they realized there was no answer. And they started to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It is very small parts but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we get many advantages by reading many kind of books.

In conclusion, I think the most important thing about marriage is love and generosity. If we love our foreign partner, we can understand his own style although we need lots of conversation. If we are generous to foreign partner Preferably, we can develop our life and culture more beautiful. In addition, I think love and generosity is not limited to foreign marriage. It should apply to every couples. Hence, 'marrying a person from a different cultural back ground' is not different from normal marriage. We just need a little more generosity. I would marry foreigner with my love and understanding.

I'm looking for information.
Back to top Go down
So-Hee

So-Hee

PostSubject: Final draft   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 am

Korean believed that korea was a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. But today, international marriages increase rapidly in korea. According to newspapers, 1 couple out of 10 couples who married recently is international couple. Many old people can't understand and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Young people's thinking are different. Young people have a more open mind about international marriage, so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. They have a their own faith and think love can solve all problem. I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that a couple who has same culture get advantages compare to international couple. But I think more important things for marriage are personality. I can be a friend who has different personality. But I don't use same room with that friend when I go to school trip. Because I know different personality can make troubles. Suppose I'm independent, but one friend doesn't. She asks for help constantly. I can't understand why she doesn't work herself and say her, "Work yourself." She gets angry at me, and move to another room. Like this, I don't want make trouble with my partner who I will live with long time. Also, According to OECD(Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development ), 40% couples reply personalities are first reason for divorce. That shows why personality is important.

Also, Most important thing marriage is understanding. The man who I will married will have a part which need a understanding. For example, his habit, bad points, differences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural background. Through this process, we can be a mature person.

Different culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country. Through this process, They can overcome a biased view and misunderstanding. They will be known, people is not that different even if they have a different cultural background. I saw many international marriage couples in TV and they looked very happy. The couples said, "We become strong when we overcome cultural problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultural background is just a little obstacle for love.

In conclusion, I think cultural background is not that important. It can be overcome and more important things are personality and understanding in marriage. "There is no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Final Feedback & Grade for Hyeon-Ji   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Hyeon-Ji wrote:
In the past, Koreans killed foreigners because they thought that the foreigners were goblins, and that they would be killed by them. Like this, Koreans have felt hostility toward foreigners. But Koreans have changed a lot. Now we can see foreign actors on movie or TV show easily like Daniel Henney, Dennis O'Neil. In addition, many people start to date with foreigners and marry to foreigners. But couples have many problems. They often feel hard to understand each others because they have different way of thinking. Besides, registering their marriage was so complicated in Korea. Even these annoying problems, many couples just say, "If I married to Korean who has same values, I really would feel bored. I like these exciting life." Yeah, I like their speaking. I would marry foreigners.

Like couples' speaking, I think having different culture can be advantage. I and foreign husband will be able to learn each others' cultural philosophy. Actually, policy maker 'Su-jung Mok' writes on her book that she got many helps from their conversation to make welfare policies. She learned many policies idea from French husband, and French husband got many Korean traditional musical information through their conversation. They helped each others' fields.

Moreover, culture can be combined. Couples can make theirs unique culture. I saw similar case. It is about my parents' story. My parents had different values although they lived in same culture. For example, My father thought reading literature was just for leisure. On the other hand, my mother thought reading literature made people's mind mature. Hence, people had to read literature. They debated reading literature quite long time soon they realized there was no answer. And they started to share their books. They usually use these new kind of books very useful in their work places. It is very small parts but their new rules effect on me and my brother. And we get many advantages by reading many kind of books.

In conclusion, I think the most important thing about marriage is love and generosity. If we love our foreign partner, we can understand his own style although we need lots of conversation. If we are generous to foreign partner Preferably, we can develop our life and culture more beautiful. In addition, I think love and generosity is not limited to foreign marriage. It should apply to every couples. Hence, 'marrying a person from a different cultural back ground' is not different from normal marriage. We just need a little more generosity. I would marry foreigner with my love and understanding.

I'm looking for information.

Well done Hyeon-Ji. Looking at your essay, one can see that it has improved with every new rewrite. There are elements of your writing that still need to be addressed, but with hard work and concentration I have no doubt that you will be able to overcome those issues.

1. Mechanics

Looking over all your paragraphs I am pleased to see that you have all the necessary elements to a structured essay. From Your main idea right down to your clincher sentence everything can be found. I would have liked to have seen some tangible examples to support your claims.
2. Language Use

As previously mentioned this is the area of your writing that needs to most work. You were able to address a number of problems such as sentence structure and capitalization as well as verb tense agreement. The biggest problem that resides in your writing after the third draft is vocabulary. You are choosing the wrong words which then makes your writing look or sound awkward. This is not a problem that can be solved overnight, but it is a problem that can be attended to.

3. Topic Development

It is nice to see that you have answered the question. The reader now knows your stance on the question asked. I would have placed your first argument last because it is your strongest point. The reason it is strongest is that you talk about culture and creating your own personal culture. That is fine, but you are using your parents as an example and they are both from the same culture. As you can possible see there is no creation of a new culture when two individuals come from the same culture. Maybe you wanted to say that two indiiduals can create their own environment in which different ideologies are shared. You also needed to correct your conclusion becasue as mentioned you are not summarizing your main ideas, but rather presenting two new ideas (love and generosity).

4. Impression on the reader
This is a very holistic grade and should take into account the effort put forward by the writer in presenting his/her work. It should also take into account originality and creativity.
I do believe you worked hard to present your ideas and support your stance as well as correct areas of your writing that were problematic. As forementioned, I really would have liked to have seen your body paragraphs changed position, but overall well done.

1. Mec = B+ // 2. Lan = C+ // 3.TD = B- // 4. IR = A- // Final Grade = B-

Last edited by Admin on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Julie

Julie

PostSubject: Last Draft   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:59 pm

What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! So I think we have to change this stereotype idea. There are many advantages and problems. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, the most important thing to care is personality. I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even we have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and want to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. Many couple break up because of their different personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Last, in future, it's beneficial for my child. They can learn both language fastly and easily. We know that it's easier to learn mother tongue because we learn it naturally by hearing parents and in life without academies. Also, they could learn both culture easy. In global era it's important to understand each countries. And they can choose their country where they want to live.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Final Feedback & Grade for So-Hee   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:18 pm

So-Hee wrote:
Korean believed that korea was a racially homogeneous nation. They had a pride of keeping one nation for long time. But today, international marriages increase rapidly in korea. According to newspapers, 1 couple out of 10 couples who married recently is international couple. Many old people can't understand and be worried about destroying of one nation. However, Young people's thinking are different. Young people have a more open mind about international marriage, so they don't really care about 'one nation.'. They have a their own faith and think love can solve all problem. I am a one of person who have a similar thinking with young generation.

I agree that culture is important part of marriage. It is certain fact that a couple who has same culture get advantages compare to international couple. But I think more important things for marriage are personality. I can be a friend who has different personality. But I don't use same room with that friend when I go to school trip. Because I know different personality can make troubles. Suppose I'm independent, but one friend doesn't. She asks for help constantly. I can't understand why she doesn't work herself and say her, "Work yourself." She gets angry at me, and move to another room. Like this, I don't want make trouble with my partner who I will live with long time. Also, According to OECD(Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development ), 40% couples reply personalities are first reason for divorce. That shows why personality is important.

Also, Most important thing marriage is understanding. The man who I will married will have a part which need a understanding. For example, his habit, bad points, differences... I think If we are not one person, we can't avoid a discording. So, It really doesn't matter his cultural background. Through this process, we can be a mature person.

Different culture gave a good effect to a couple. They get a chance to know and understand each other's country. Through this process, They can overcome a biased view and misunderstanding. They will be known, people is not that different even if they have a different cultural background. I saw many international marriage couples in TV and they looked very happy. The couples said, "We become strong when we overcome cultural problem, and we really love each other." It shows, cultural background is just a little obstacle for love.

In conclusion, I think cultural background is not that important. It can be overcome and more important things are personality and understanding in marriage. "There is no boundary in a love" That's a simple answer for this essay.

Well done So-Hee! I am extremely pleased with your final draft. You were able to address many of the points I mentioned as well as correcting the many of the mistakes that were present in your second draft. Overall I am happy with what you have done.

1. Mechanics

You did well in this section. You have topic sentneces some supporting sentences and even examples to support your opinion. Well done. Your conclusion could be further developed, but overall this is good.

2. Language Use

Work is still required in this section. Looking at your first body paragraph we see difficulty with vocabulary (choosing the right word), articles and when to use the plural. Many of the problems you exhibit in this area can be corrected with a few simple steps.

3. Topic Development

For the entirety of your work, you did well. I believe your strongest paragraph to be the first one with the details and example. Your weakest are your second body paragraph and your conclusion. The second body paragraph appears unfinished. An example to show what you believe would have been appropriate. Your conclusion doesn't adequately summarize your ideas, but it does have a nice clincher sentence.

This is a very holistic grade and should take into account the effort put forward by the writer in presenting his/her work. It should also take into account originality and creativity.

Your ideas are good and the use of sources such as the OECD is excellent.

1.Mec. = B+ // 2.Lan. = B- // 3.TD = B // 4. IR = A- // Final Grade = B

Last edited by Admin on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Final Feedback & Grade for Julie   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Julie wrote:
What do you think about marrying with foreigner? Still some of Korean have stereotype that Korean should marry with Korean. But it's just old fixed idea. Nowadays, international marriage rate is increasing fastly. In 2001, 15234 people married with foreigners. Then in 2005, there were 43121!! So I think we have to change this stereotype idea. There are many advantages and problems. The question asks me that would I regard marrying a person from different cultural background or not. If I had foreign boyfriend, I would consider marrying with him.

First, the most important thing to care is personality. I don't care about the cultural backgrounds. Even we have different faces, language, country and traditions, we are just the same, normal people. We got marry who we love and want to live with, so I can understand their different culture. If they couldn't understand these little things, it's not a true love. Many couple break up because of their different personality. I want to live with person who is polite to my parents, mannered and kind to me, understand my weakness, with economic strength and smart.

Last, in future, it's beneficial for my child. They can learn both language fastly and easily. We know that it's easier to learn mother tongue because we learn it naturally by hearing parents and in life without academies. Also, they could learn both culture easy. In global era it's important to understand each countries. And they can choose their country where they want to live.

This is a good effort Julie. You have some very valid points and your supporting details and examples are just. It is also nice to see that you made an effort to correct some of your mistakes.

1. Mechanics
This covers the structure of the essay itself - the different types of paragraphs, main idea, topic sentence, supporting details, clincher sentence, conclusion.

You understand how a text should be structured and try hard to include all of the elements into your work. There is still work required on strenghtening your paragraphs such as ensuring that all the sentences you write support your topic sentence, but overall this is good.

2. Language Use

This is the area that is most problematic so far. With work I have no doubt that you will improve. You need to remember a few simple rules when writing. Choose and stay with the same pronoun and verb mode throughout your writing (make changes when need be such as when presenting an example). Reread your work. There are some sentences that you could have fixd quite easily.

3. Topic Development

As mentioned above you presented some good ideas and did fairly well at supporting them. You could have developed some of your points a little more susch as your third body paragraph. You present many details/opinions, but do not support them with any strong facts.

I think you put in a good effort. I would have liked to have seen more of the errors I had mentioned in previous ffedback corrected, but overall you did well.

1. Mec. = B+ // 2.Lan = C // 3.TD = B // 4.IR = B- Final Grade = B-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John’s Taiwanese Wedding   John’s Taiwanese Wedding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John’s Taiwanese Wedding
Page 1 of 1