YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter One

Go down 
+2
Harold
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Chapter One   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:05 am

What were Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire doing before the fire started?
Write a story using 20 words from the Chapter 1 vocabulary list.

Name1st feedback2nd feedbackGrade
Harold
Done
Done
TBG
Hye-Jin
Done
Done
TBG
Peter
Done
Done
XXX
Hyeon-Joong
XXX
XXX
XXX
Yoon-Ah
XXX
XXX
XXX
Olivia
 Done

Name   
Name   
Name   
Name   
Name   
FBC = feedback coming
TBG = to be graded

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Harold

Harold

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: After the children went to the beach...(1st draft)   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 pm

After the three Baudelaire children went to the beach to see the horizon, Mr. Baudelaire came in from handling the handlebars. They were having potatoes for snack. While cooking, they talked about their previous lives. Like when they were in Coneal beach, they saw a device that could draw misty figure emerging from the fog, like a photo. And at the Micheal Jackson Mem. Hwy, they saw two cars with youngsters in them collapse. They were tired. They accidently fell asleep. They both dreamed about( I don't know why),they were orphans, and they were being retrieved from the Coney Island. But at the Halem district, they met a executioner and was about to be executed but their executer came and shrieked. So they were gone. They woke up. Then Mr. Poe came in with sons and siblings. Edward Poe, had his hands wet from the murky waters. Albert Poe, had a real knack in facial tissues.
Back to top Go down
Peter

Peter

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: The Batelaire's ascites (1st draft)   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:59 am

There was one people names “Batelaire.” He was genius but Mr. Baudelaire’s company succeed so his company failed. He wanted to be better off than Baudelaire. But it failed, too. He despaired with family because his company collapsed and failed. It was not trivial thing! It means his house failed. So he made devices with Batelaire youngsters. It was killing Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire. It means he want to retrieve his wealth. When Baudelaire youngsters went to trip, he will go to Baudelaire’s mansion. 1 day later, he doesn’t want to show his face to them, so put black facial cream on the face. It looks murky Africa people. He was special soldier so he have knack about using bomb. While Baudelaire youngsters were going to Briny beach, Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were reading newspaper. Mr. Batelaire was going to Baudelaire’s huge mansion, too. He scarcely go in the mansion. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were watching TV, suddenly Mr. Batelaire emerged. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire shrieked and Mr. Batelaire constantly said their bad point and why Mr. Batelaire Company failed. So they absently make fit of face. 5 minutes later, Mr. Batelaire engulfed bomb in his house.

Last edited by Peter on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Feedback for Harold   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Harold wrote:
After the three Baudelaire children went to the beach to see the horizon, Mr. Baudelaire came in from handling the handlebars (what handlebars was Mr Baudelaire handling?). They were having potatoes for snack. While cooking, they talked about their previous lives(here you might want to say "they were talking about days gone by). Like when they were in Coneal(Corneal Beach) beach, they saw a device that could draw misty figure emerging from the fog, like a photo. And at the Micheal Jackson Mem. Hwy, they saw two cars with youngsters in them collapse(The cars collapsed? Cars do not collpase. Fix this sentence). They were tired. They accidently fell asleep. They both dreamed about( I don't know why),they were orphans, and they were being retrieved from the Coney Island. But at the Halem (Harlem District) district, they met a executioner and was about to be executed but their executer came and shrieked. So they were gone. They woke up. Then Mr. Poe came in with sons and siblings. Edward Poe, had his hands wet from the murky waters. Albert Poe, had a real knack in facial tissues.(I don't understand this last sentence and can't see how it has anything do to with the story you are wirting about.)

Overall this is a good effort. I was able to follow most of the story. You did fairly well with your vocabulary in use. A few issues need to be addressed in order to make your story easier to understand.

Rewrite the story taking into account the elements I point out.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Feedback for Peter   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 am

Peter wrote:
There was one people names “Batelaire.” He was genius but Mr. Baudelaire’s company succeed so his company failed. He wanted to be better off than Baudelaire. But it failed, too(what is 'it'). He despaired with family because his company collapsed and failed. It was not trivial thing! It means his house failed. [1]So he made devices with Batelaire youngsters. [1] It was killing Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire. It means he want to retrieve his wealth. When Baudelaire youngsters went to trip, he will go to Baudelaire’s mansion. 21 day later, he doesn’t want to show his face to them, so put black facial cream on the face. [3]It looks murky Africa people. He was special soldier so he have knack about using bomb. While Baudelaire youngsters were going to Briny beach, Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were reading newspaper. Mr. Batelaire was going to Baudelaire’s huge mansion, too. [4]He scarcely go in the mansion. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were watching TV, suddenly Mr. Batelaire emerged. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire shrieked and Mr. Batelaire constantly said their bad point and why Mr. Batelaire Company failed. [5]So they absently make fit of face. [6]5 minutes later, Mr. Batelaire engulfed bomb in his house.

Hi Peter. This is a good first effort Your story starts off well and is very intriguing. I would love to see it more developed. You can make this story a lot more interesting if you really want to and try. Please write more.

Look at the points below to improve your story.

[1] The two sentences should be merged to make one sentence.
[2] Why do you have two diffetent verb tenses within one sentence (past simple and future simple? You need to look at your entire story to fix your verb tenses.
[2] Who is 'them'?
[3] What is 'it'?
[4] Scarcely means barely, not quite > You need to fix your sentence.
[5] I don't understand this sentence.
[6] engulf means to envelop/surround fully/swallow

Rewrite your story in a new post

Last edited by Admin on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter

Peter

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: 2nd draft   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 1:40 pm

There was one people names “Batelaire.” He was genius but Mr. Baudelaire’s company succeed so his company failed. He wanted to be better off than Baudelaire. But his second company failed, too. He despaired with family because his company collapsed and failed. It was not trivial thing! It means his house failed. So he made devices with Batelaire youngsters. It was killing Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire to retrieve his wealth. When Baudelaire youngsters went to trip, he will go to Baudelaire’s mansion. 1 day later, he didn’t want to show his face to them, so put black facial cream on the face. It looks murky Africa people. He was special soldier so he have knack about using bomb. While Baudelaire youngsters were going to Briny beach, Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were reading newspaper. Mr. Batelaire was going to Baudelaire’s huge mansion, too. He narrowly go in the mansion. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were watching TV, suddenly Mr. Batelaire emerged. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire shrieked and Mr. Batelaire constantly said their bad point and why Mr. Batelaire Company failed. So Mr. Baudelaire and Mrs. Baudelaire absently saw Mr. Batelaire. 5 minutes later, Mr. Batelaire threw bomb in his house.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Second Feedback for Peter   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 8:12 am

Peter wrote:
[-1]There was one people names “Batelaire.” [-2]He was genius but Mr. Baudelaire’s company succeed so his company failed. He wanted to be better off than Baudelaire. But his second company failed, too. [1.]He despaired with family because his company collapsed and failed. [-2] It was not trivial thing! It means his house failed. [-3] So he made devices with Batelaire youngsters. [-3]It was killing Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire to retrieve his wealth. When Baudelaire youngsters went to trip, he will go to Baudelaire’s mansion. 1 day later, he didn’t want to show his face to them, so put black facial cream on the face. It looks murky Africa people. He was special soldier so he have knack about using bomb. [2.]While Baudelaire youngsters were going to Briny beach, Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were reading newspaper. Mr. Batelaire was going to Baudelaire’s huge mansion, too. He narrowly go in the mansion. [2.]Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were watching TV, suddenly Mr. Batelaire emerged. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire shrieked and Mr. Batelaire constantly said their bad point and why Mr. Batelaire Company failed. [3.]So Mr. Baudelaire and Mrs. Baudelaire absently saw Mr. Batelaire. 5 minutes later, Mr. Batelaire threw bomb in his house.

In this second round of feedbcak I will point out three grammar mistakes and three story problems. There are more grammar mistakes, you need to find them and fix them.

Look at your verb tenses.

[-1] singular/plural
[-2] article
[-3] devices / it ?

[1.] Who is despairing? Mr. Batelaire or Mr. Batelaire and his family?
[2.] Where Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire reading or watching the television?
[3.] 'Absently' means not paying attention to something or someone. How can they be looking at Mr. Batelaire inattentively?
Back to top Go down
Hye-Jin

Hye-Jin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Bad gardener (1st draft)   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 pm

If you are intrested in how Mr. and Mrs.Baudelaire perished,but are not intrested you would be better off read the next chapter.When the youngsters were on the Briny beach, Mrs.Baudelaire was putting a facial cream.It was a rife one.And Mr.poe as sitting on a rickety chair.He despaired because the chair. Then suddenly a gardener came who was working under him.He wanted to go for a holiday.He gave permission,he was going in a horizon way.he liked the gardener because he is knack.The gardener as gone because he wanted to kill the Baudelaires.So thats why he spoke so trivial, so scarcely he had a lack of money.Mr. Baudelaire was englfed in a bad way.Then he went to Baudelaire's house and Mrs.Bauldelaire saw the figure of the gardener but she passed it.She thought it was Mr.Poe.Then she shreiked because he is supossed to be in the bank.She got absently.Nom the gardener be came a execunator,then he drawed the boiler.Then he executed.and it got in to a fire and he got perishied too.and the Baudelaire became orphans.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: First feedback for Hye-Jin   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

Hye-Jin wrote:
If you are intrested in how Mr. and Mrs.Baudelaire perished,but are not intrested you would be better off read the next chapter.When the youngsters were on the Briny beach, Mrs.Baudelaire was putting a facial cream.It was a rife one.And Mr.poe as sitting on a rickety chair.[1]He despaired because the chair. Then suddenly a gardener came who was working under him.He wanted to go for a holiday.[2]He gave permission,he was going in a horizon way.[3]he liked the gardener because he is knack.The gardener as gone because he wanted to kill the Baudelaires.So thats why he spoke so trivial, so scarcely he had a lack of money.[4]Mr. Baudelaire was englfed in a bad way.Then he went to Baudelaire's house and Mrs.Bauldelaire saw the figure of the gardener but she passed it.She thought it was Mr.Poe.Then she shreiked because he is supossed to be in the bank.[5]She got absently.[6]Nom the gardener be came a execunator,then he drawed the boiler.Then he executed.and it got in to a fire and he got perishied too.and the Baudelaire became orphans.

Thank you for submitting your homework Hye-Jin. I really like your story. It has a mysterious person, a suspenseful story and a very sad/good ending. Excellent work!

[1] Mr. Poe despaired because the chair was rickety?
[2] The horizon is the line between earth and sky. The person can't go in a "horizon" way. You may want to say that he was going "to the west to see a nicer horizon."
[3] The gardener had a knack for what? For example, the boy had a knack for solving math problem.
[4] Mr. Baudelaire was engulfed in what?
[5] I don't understand this sentence. Can you write it in another way?
[6] He drew a boiler? I don't understand this idea. Can you fix it a little?

Write your second draft in a new post.

Back to top Go down
Harold

Harold

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: After the children went to the beach...(2nd draft)   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:02 pm

After the three Baudelaire children went to the beach to see the horizon, Mr. Baudelaire came in from handling the bike handlebars where he worked. They were having potatoes for snack. While cooking, they were talking about days gone by. Like when they were in Corneal beach, they saw a device that could draw misty figure emerging from the fog, like a photo. And at the Micheal Jackson Mem. Hwy, they saw two cars with youngsters in them drive into each other. They were tired. They accidently fell asleep. They both dreamed about( I don't know why),they were orphans, and they were being retrieved from the Coney Island. But at the Harlem District, they met a executioner and was about to be executed but their executer came and shrieked. So they were gone. They woke up. Then Mr. Poe came in with sons and siblings. Edward Poe, had his hands wet from the murky waters. Albert Poe, had a real knack in facial tissues. They talked and talked. But Mrs. Baudelaire made a fire and the Poe family escaped but Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire died. So Mr. Poe went to the Briny Beach.
Back to top Go down
Hye-Jin

Hye-Jin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: bad gardener (2nd draft)   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 5:03 pm

If you are not intrested in how Mr. and Mr. Baudelaire perished you would be better off reading the next chapter.When the youngsters were on the Briny beach,Mr. Baudelaire was despairing on the rickety chair and Mrs. Baudelaire was putting a facial cream it was a rife one.Then the gardener came to get permission, to go to see a horizon.He had a good knack of gardening.The gardener was pretending to go tothe horizon actualy he was going to kill them, so that's why he tailed so trivial, scacely he had a lack of money.Mr. Baudelaire was engulfed in a bad way.The gardener came to the house and Mrs. Baudelaire saw the figure of him but she passed.Then about 5 seconds she shrieked because she didn't know who it was!she got absently.The gardener bacame the execunator,he drawed the boiler, he executed.thehouse got into fire he died too.and the kid became orphans.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Second Feedback for Harold   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 am

Harold wrote:
After the three Baudelaire children went to the beach to see the horizon, Mr. Baudelaire came in from handling the bike handlebars where he worked. [1]They were having potatoes for snack. While cooking, they were talking about days gone by. Like when they were in Corneal beach, they saw a device that could draw misty figure emerging from the fog, like a photo. And at the Micheal Jackson Mem. Hwy, they saw two cars with youngsters in them drive into each other. They were tired. They accidently fell asleep. They both dreamed about( I don't know why),they were orphans, and they were being retrieved from the Coney Island. But at the Harlem District, they met a executioner and was about to be executed but their executer came and shrieked. So they were gone. They woke up. Then Mr. Poe came in with sons and siblings. [2]Edward Poe, had his hands wet from the murky waters. [A]Albert Poe, had a real knack in facial tissues. They talked and talked. But Mrs. Baudelaire made a fire and the Poe family escaped but Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire died. So Mr. Poe went to the Briny Beach.

Your story is quite interesting. I like the last sentence because it ties your story to the book. In the book Mr. Poe finds the Baudelaire children at Briny Beach, but how does he know they are there? Now, you answer the question. Well done! In order to make your story stronger you should look at time (the Baudelaire children go ot the beach in the morning, so when does all of your story unfold? Also look at answering the questions below.

[1] Who is 'they'?
[2] What murky water?
[A] From this part on, I have difficulty understanding your story.
1.What is a knack in facial tissues?
2. Who talked with who?
3. Why did Mrs. Baudelaire make a fire?

These questions need to be answered in order to make your story stronger.

Write your final draft in a new post.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Second Feedback Hye-Jin   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Hye-Jin wrote:
If you are not intrested in how Mr. and Mr. Baudelaire perished you would be better off reading the next chapter.When the youngsters were on the Briny beach,Mr. Baudelaire was despairing on the rickety chair and Mrs. Baudelaire was putting a facial cream it was a rife one.Then the gardener came to get permission, to go to see a horizon.[1]He had a good knack of gardening.The gardener was pretending to go tothe horizon actualy he was going to kill them, [2]so that's why he tailed so trivial, scacely he had a lack of money.[3]Mr. Baudelaire was engulfed in a bad way.The gardener came to the house and Mrs. Baudelaire saw the figure of him but she passed.Then about 5 seconds she shrieked because she didn't know who it was![A]she got absently.The gardener bacame the execunator,he drawed the boiler, he executed.thehouse got into fire he died too.and the kid became orphans.

This is a good story Hye-Jin. I really like the beginning. I think you were very clever. Not many would have used the opening lines of the book, change them just so slightly and incorporated them into their own story. From [A] to the end you should look at trying to make your story a little clearer. I truly have difficulty following your ideas. You need to also look at fixing your spelling.

[1] We have a knack for things, not a knack of
[2] You must fix this section. I really do not understand what you are trying to say.
[3] Mr. Baudelaire was engulfed in what?
Back to top Go down
Harold

Harold

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: After the children went to the beach...   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm

After the three Baudelaire children went to the beach to see the horizon, Mr. Baudelaire came in from handling the bike handlebars where he worked. Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire were having potatoes for snack. While cooking, they were talking about days gone by. Like when they were in Corneal beach, they saw a device that could draw misty figure emerging from the fog, like a photo. And at the Micheal Jackson Mem. Hwy, they saw two cars with youngsters in them drive into each other. They were tired. They accidently fell asleep. They both dreamed about( I don't know why),they were orphans, and they were being retrieved from the Coney Island. But at the Harlem District, they met a executioner and was about to be executed but their executer came and shrieked. So they were gone. They woke up. Then Mr. Poe came in with sons and siblings. Edward Poe, had his hands wet from the Hinterland beach's murky waters(Mr. Poe's family went to the Hinterland Beach before they came here). Albert Poe, had a knack in facial tissues(I think he went crazy at that time, he himself said it). The Poe family and the Baudelaire family talked and talked. Mrs. Baudelaire was making baked potatoes. But Mrs. Baudelaire accidently put a tissue into the fire and made a fire and the Poe family escaped but Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire died. But Mr. Baudelaire told Mr. Poe earlier that the children were in the Briny Beach, and Mrs. Poe can drive the car. So she took her children home. And Mr. Poe went to the Briny Beach to retrieve the Baudelaire Orphans.
Back to top Go down
Hye-Jin

Hye-Jin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: the bad gardener   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm

If you are not intrested in how Mr. and Mr. Baudelaire perished you would be better off reading the next chapter.When the youngsters were on the Briny beach,Mr. Baudelaire was despairing on the rickety chair and Mrs. Baudelaire was putting a facial cream it was a rife one.Then the gardener came to get permission, to go to see a horizon.He once broke a glass it sound knack.The gardener was pretending to go to the horizon actually he was going to kill them, so that's why he tailed so trivial, scacely he had a lack of money.Mr. Baudelaire was engulfed in a well. So the gardener came to the house and Mrs. Baudelaire saw the figure of him but she passed.Then about 5 seconds she shrieked because she didn't know who it was!she got absently.The gardener bacame the execunator,he drawed the boiler, he executed.the house got into fire he died too.and the kid became orphans.
Back to top Go down
Hyeon-Joong

Hyeon-Joong

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: 1   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 3:53 pm

After children got a permission fron their parents. they went to Briny Beach. and parents looked outh the window. the weather was murky.
After horizon is up in the sky. they fixed the rickety furnitures. But old furnitures still collapsed but Mr. Baudelaire fixed it with knack skill again with professional factory devices. and after that, they turned back their trivial life again. They just retrieved their healthy by resting. and they talked about keeping the land that they talked about keeping the land that they retained. then, they opened the window and saw the misty air.
when they saw the top of the house. they were so surprised. horizon was still shinning and they saw the huge amount of light. They figured out events after this terrible happening. they would absolutely perish and they knew that, too. Because the fire was getting bigger and bigger.
Back to top Go down
Olivia Kirwin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter One   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am

After the children went to the beach, Mr.Baudelaire was doing scientific experiments while Mrs. Baudelaire was packing surprises for each child, 50 books for Klaus, more inventing tools for Violet, and chewing toys for Sunny. The relatives of the Baudelaires are evil. They are jealous that the Baudelaires are rich, very rich.All of them teamed up and planned how to get their hands on the Baudelaire's fortune. So, to get started they set the most flammable fire ever seen on the Baudelaire mansion!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter One   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 am

Olivia Kirwin wrote:
   After the children went to the beach, Mr.Baudelaire was doing scientific experiments while Mrs. Baudelaire was packing surprises for each child, 50  books for Klaus, more inventing tools for Violet, and chewing toys for Sunny. The relatives of the Baudelaires are evil. They are jealous that the Baudelaires are rich, very rich.All of them teamed up and planned how to get their hands on the Baudelaire's fortune. So, to get started they set the most flammable fire ever seen on the Baudelaire mansion!

---------
This is interesting, yet you are not answering the question in full. A part of your response is off topic. I am asking you to talk about Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire, not about other people we have not met or are unknown. Therefore, your first sentence is good. All the following sentences are off topic.

That being said, there are questions that I do have.
How do you know the Baudelaire relatives are evil? How do you know they are jealous?

Your story is well written with very few mistakes. That is why I am sad to say that you need to do it again.

Yannick
Back to top Go down
Olivia Kirwin

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter One   Chapter One I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 am

After the children went to the beach, Mr. Baudelaire was doing a very risky scientific experiment while Mrs. Baudelaire was packing surprises for each child,50 book for Klaus, more inventing tools for Violet,and chewing toys for Sunny. Why is Mr. Baudelaire's experiment risky you may ask? Well this experiment was risky because one mistake can cause a very flammable fire, that is why he told the children to go to the beach. He did a tiny mistake by putting 21 grams instead of 20 grams and it caused the most flammable ever seen on the Baudelaire mansion!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter One   Chapter One I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter One
Page 1 of 1